Be a part of me for a digital espresso date during which I share concerning the energy of selecting “one phrase” to information your intentions for the yr. Plus, get a close-up take a look at how I map out my goals in my planner as a way to take action-able steps towards making them a actuality!
If we might sit down and have a cup of espresso…
…as a lot as I really like me some Starbs, we’d drive a bit of bit additional to that cute spot with the twinkle lights and occasional tables stacked excessive with books. They make meals from scratch and have all types of fancy espresso roasting gear. It’s inspiring to see individuals take such satisfaction in whipping up quality-in-a-cup, isn’t it?
Oldies can be enjoying over the audio system once we stroll in, and we’d each bop our heads in satisfaction. Good vibrations certainly.
I’d order a peppermint mocha latte as a result of I nonetheless haven’t fairly gotten over Christmas. And also you’d order your favourite yummy drink proper now (you recognize the one).
We’d sit down within the cozy couches that eat you up just like the Audrey II plant eats up…properly…everybody (identify that musical theatre reference!). We’d as properly keep right here endlessly, proper?
Then, we’d take pleasure in some catch-up dialog listening to about one another’s holidays. What was candy. What was onerous. I’m studying life is much more grey than black-and-white, isn’t it?
If we might sit down and have a cup of espresso right now, I’d in all probability inform you one thing like this:
“So, that is my seventh yr selecting a “phrase of the yr.” One phrase to bury into the soil of a brand new yr and assist it to develop with new intentions, habits, and objectives.
It’s considered one of my favourite practices of the brand new yr–one I don’t plan on giving it up anytime quickly–due to the way it grounds me.
As you already know, pricey good friend, I’m multi-passionate. I’m an achiever. I’m vulnerable to workaholism.
However “one phrase” tethers my prone-to-wandering self to at least one concept. One mission. One tree to water as an alternative of the ten I’m drawn to nurture. As a result of you possibly can’t deal with ten timber nicely. However one, I can do.”
You’d be nodding profusely by means of my diatribe, till you simply couldn’t take it any longer, and also you’d ask me to spill the beans on my one phrase for 2019:
“Okay, okay. Drumroll, please! It’s…
p r e s e n c e
As in “to be current.” As in “wherever you’re, be all there.” It was a phrase we used rather a lot throughout my school appearing coaching as a reminder to take a breath and quiet the thoughts in an effort to be within the second (quite than reflecting on what simply occurred or what was about to occur). It’s onerous to do. And I feel it’s getting more durable and more durable within the hurried world we reside in. However I really feel referred to as to pursue extra presence this yr.
Presence is now the lens via which I’ll make my selections–about what so as to add to my calendar and what to cross out; what to buy and what to “save for later;” what to wish for and search after in my relationships, in addition to what to let go of as a result of it’s not nourishing my tree.
And already, I’ve skilled its pruning energy.
Prime instance: once I was tempted to purchase a e-book on Amazon about spending time with God, I used to be reminded that with a phrase like presence, no handbook is required aside from The Good E-book Itself. Including one other voice to my time with God may make being really current with my Creator-God extra of a problem. And clickity click on, I emptied my cart.
Oh, and one other instance: I can simply get enamored by everybody else’s new enterprise ventures whereas scrolling by way of Instagram, and I discover myself considering, “I might do this, too!” And I begin to dream about how my enterprise may develop and alter within the months forward with these shiny new instruments and endeavors. However once I maintain up these goals subsequent to my one phrase and discover they don’t assist me to hunt after presence (if something they threaten to edge it out), I inform them, “I’ll come again to you later. Perhaps subsequent yr.” And I really feel a weight lifted. Simply because I can do one thing new and enjoyable, doesn’t all the time imply I ought to.“
You’d heave a sigh that jogs my memory why we’re kindred spirits. And also you’d share about a few of the shiny issues which were competing on your focus, too, recently. I all the time recognize your honesty and transparency. Perhaps it’s the consolation of our cups in hand that invite us to share extra brazenly.
You’d ask me how I selected the phrase presence…or somewhat, the way it selected me. I’d assume for a second, mid-gulp, after which share this lil’ musing:
“Ya know? I really feel like this phrase, presence, has been a very long time coming. Virtually like my “one phrases” from years previous have been getting ready me for it. I imply, it’s no shock that once you spend a whole yr targeted on one intention, it’s going to take you someplace new and alter you for all the time.
Leap. Stability. Give up. Objective, not Perfection. Nourish. Rhythm. I see them much less as remoted islands and extra like steppingstones in a journey, every main me to the subsequent.”
I’d make a joke about how I’m filled with similes and metaphors at the moment, and also you’d remind me with a glimmer in your eye that I’m all the time filled with similes and metaphors. Snicker snicker. Touché! Dialog is sweeter when poetic units are concerned, doncha’ assume?
Then, I’d flip to the again of my new planner and share with you my double-page unfold the place I did some dream-mapping on how I’d foster extra presence in my life in 2019. You even put down your cup to take a better look, whereas I increase on every concept in basic wordy-Lauren style:
“I selected to spotlight a passage of scripture that was in all probability probably the most impactful passage I journaled final yr…I maintain coming again to it. Perhaps as a result of it’s so counter-cultural. And so not my pure inclination.
“Abide in me, and I in you. Because the department can’t bear fruit by itself, until it abides within the vine, neither are you able to, until you abide in me. I’m the vine; you’re the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it’s that bears a lot fruit, for aside from me you are able to do nothing.” –John 15:four, 5
It seems that if I would like my life to bear the fruit of affection, peace, and pleasure, it’s not about me striving or making an attempt more durable to get it proper. (And thank goodness as a result of I’ll fail at that.)
It’s simply nearly me abiding with God. Having fun with his presence.
And so I need to order my life this yr in such a method this yr to permit for extra presence with God and family members.
It’ll require extra margin. Extra relaxation. Extra stillness. Extra studying. Extra rhythms. Extra saying “no.” Much less display time. Much less senseless scrolling. Much less Netflix. Much less calendar gadgets. Much less packing containers on my guidelines. Much less notches in my productiveness belt.
However I really feel like I’m on the cusp of a progress spurt as I comply with God’s main on this new path. Difficult although I do know will probably be for this Sort A recovering perfectionist, I’ve nice anticipation for the fruit that may come out of a yr devoted to presence.
1. PRESENCE WITH GOD: I need to spend extra time with God with none agenda or concentrate on the result. I need to develop in my delight to only be with Him. And to begin to see my life as one lengthy dialog with God as an alternative of “time with God” being separate from the remainder of life with all-the-things I’ve to perform.
WHAT DOES THIS LOOK LIKE?
- Beginning my day in quiet prayer and presence with God.
- Asking God how He’ll lead me as we speak earlier than planning my duties.
- Persevering with in Lectio Divina apply of studying scripture utilizing *Jan Johnson’s ebook.
- Persevering with #LaurensYearWithJesus into 2019 and Bible Journaling via the gospels–not anxious to complete shortly–however as an alternative giving myself permission to meander and linger with what I’m studying.
- Persevering with to follow Sabbath as a household every week and creating some common rituals to assist us transfer previous simply rest into restoration.
- Re-reading The Apply of the Presence of God by Brother Lawrence–a bit e-book I learn again in school that feels related proper now.
“You do the connecting, God will do the perfecting.” –Jan Johnson
2. PRESENCE WITH MARK: Particularly as we anticipate the transition from a household of three to a household of 4 this Might, I need to foster extra intimacy and presence in my relationship with my first mate.
WHAT DOES THIS LOOK LIKE?
- Persevering with in our rhythms of weekly date nights and quarterly getaways.
- Connecting with Mark for no less than 15 minutes after his post-night shift wake-ups. No cellphone. No laptop computer. Simply being and speaking and sharing.
- Being much more intentional with how we plan our time. Having a weekly household assembly the place we take a look at our calendar, be sure that we now have our Sabbath and date night time deliberate, and in addition working in additional occasions of connection collectively when our schedules are notably full.
- Mark can are typically the adventure-initiator, however I need to develop in planning extra outside adventures collectively: bike rides, walks, park outings.
three. PRESENCE WITH THE PEOPLE AROUND ME: I heard an excellent sermon on Sabbath relaxation lately by my favourite Bible instructor, John Mark Comer, the place he talked about how 80% of loving others properly is being emotionally wholesome and spiritually awake, which in massive half comes from relaxation. Relaxation in your soul. Being an introvert, I really feel like I want extra soul-rest than the typical bear as it’s…so I’m hopeful that in prioritizing extra relaxation and restoration, I’ll have extra power to be a peaceable and loving presence amongst these in my circle.
WHAT DOES THIS LOOK LIKE?
- Deleting the Netflix app from my telephone (gasp!) and banning cellphone use in mattress…perhaps even discovering it a brand new residence as an alternative of on the night time desk. I need to attain for a e-book as an alternative.
- Being extra disciplined to utterly unplug from units on Sabbath days.
- Having fun with high quality time with our daughter Juniper earlier than (and after) Child Sister arrives. Life goes to vary dramatically in a couple of months, and excited as we’re, I don’t need to want away the now. I need to take extra time to learn collectively, sing collectively, snuggle collectively, create collectively.
- Having fun with high quality time with Child Sister when she arrives in Might. I’ve some nervousness concerning the juggling act that may include parenting two gals and splitting my focus between them, however I feel studying to follow presence with the time I do have with them–even when only for a couple of minutes–will assist hold that nervousness at bay. A minimum of, that’s my hope!
- Fostering extra alternatives for presence with our neighbors and pals by means of internet hosting a month-to-month group potluck at our casa.
four. PRESENCE IN MY WORK: At first blush, it’s onerous to check how “presence” and “work” can fall in the identical sentence. However the deeper I mine this concept, the extra gold I uncover. I can are likely to really feel scattered in how I order my work days. And I’m craving a extra common rhythm to my hours. I feel then I’ll be capable of extra current and targeted on the duty at hand as an alternative of multi-tasking (and not likely getting a lot accomplished).
WHAT DOES THIS LOOK LIKE?
- Creating a daily rhythm to my work days and fiercely defending my “tiger time” (shout-out to Amy Porterfield!) for my huge biz dream tasks. No extra blowing myself off or getting sidetracked with my inbox or social media.
- Outsource the biz duties which might be energy-draining.
- Additionally, I need to be extra intentional about batching my work duties and time on social media since that been a very fruitful apply for me prior to now. There are lots of totally different tasks clawing for my consideration. However I feel if I might be extra absolutely current with every one of their correct time, I’ll have extra pleasure within the course of and create much more encouraging content material this yr.
- I need to begin utilizing the “Paper…for Writers” app I discovered about from Carlos Whittaker to assist me keep extra targeted and current throughout writing time.
- Extra month-to-month espresso dates…like this one! Wink. These newsletters really feel just like the closest I can get to actual presence with my readers regardless of the screens between us. And I treasure the back-and-forth dialog we will have by way of e mail once I obtain replies! Extra of that in 2019, please.” Psst! When you’re not already on the e-mail record to obtain month-to-month espresso dates in your inbox, enroll HERE.
And I’d thanks for listening to all of that. The straightforward act of me sharing aloud what has been rattling round in my mind these first weeks of the brand new yr helps encourage me to truly take motion.
After which, as a result of I can’t assist myself, I’d ask,
“Do you’ve got power to listen to yet one more of my metaphors?”
You’d grin. And since you’re superior, you’d say,
“All the time.”
“Okay, so we’ve a peach tree in our entrance yard, and Mark gave it an aggressive pruning final week, clipping off a number of ft of branches. It appeared just a little bit unhappy after he was accomplished with it–the branches so brief, stubbly and naked.
However then, just some days later, one thing superb occurred. Dozens upon dozens of delicate, healthy-looking blossoms began sprouting forth within the prettiest of pinks.
And as I snapped a photograph of the peach blossom magnificence, I couldn’t assist however see the metaphor that was staring me smack dab within the face.
The pruning course of is an effective and needed one for all dwelling issues. As a way to result in new blossoms, we have to let go of the branches which might be draining our power, dividing our focus, and weighing us down.
It might not look fairly. It is probably not straightforward. Or freed from ache. However give it time, and also you’ll begin seeing new blossoms crop up in all totally different areas of your life.
And provides it a bit of extra time but, and people blossoms will give strategy to fruit. Get again to me in mid-Might, and I’ll have a juicy peach to show it.”
And so, if we have been sipping yummy drinks collectively, at first of this new yr, these are the kinds of issues I’d share. And I’d thanks for being that protected individual with whom I can spill my hopes, goals, and struggles. I’d thanks for the present of your presence as I search extra presence of my very own.
After which, I’d ask you this:
“What about you, pal? Have you ever chosen a phrase to information you this yr? I’d love to listen to about it!”
Leap into the feedback part under and inform me:
1) the yummy drink you ordered on our espresso date
2) your “one phrase” or one aim for 2019
three) one motion step you’ll be able to take within the week forward to go after it
Make it small. Make it do-able. And remark under.
As a result of I’ve discovered that the act of writing out our objectives and sharing them with a pal provides numerous gasoline to our hearth to take motion. And I’d love to be that good friend for you simply as you have been for me. So, what ‘cha waitin’ fer? Spill the espresso beans!
The place to go subsequent?
Curious to learn posts I wrote on my previous “one phrases”? Listed here are a number of rabbit trails on your hopping pleasure:
When you’re curious to take a look at my 2018 Yr in Evaluation and why this has develop into such an essential apply for me annually even earlier than selecting my “one phrase,” click on HERE for the within scoop.
*Full Disclosure: This submit accommodates affiliate hyperlinks, which means that for those who make a purchase order after clicking via, The Considering Closet might obtain a small fee at no additional value to you. Thanks for serving to to help this website!